Easy Ego State Therapy Abstract This workshop is a practical overview of un-derstanding ego state therapy for dissociative and non-dissociative clients. Participants will get a working model of ego states; how they arise; how to bring resourced “oldest, wisest” parts to the front and access other positive states; how to heal simple trauma and com-plex trauma (including sexual trauma), deal with relationship issues (including finding a good relationship), contain and heal distres-sed and destructive parts in “high-tech” safe places, keep all parts oriented to the present, work with suicidal parts, and deal with per-sonality-disordered and highly dissociative clients. Participants will also learn how to use ego state therapy to calm over-active immu-ne systems and chronic pain. The workshop includes lecture and practice and some case demonstration. Participants should be able to use ego state therapy with their clients upon completing this workshop.
1. You will learn the difference between dissociative and non-dissociative ego states.
2. You will be able to access resourced “oldest-wisest” ego states in yourselves and your clients. 3. You will be able to assist clients to contain and heal di-stressed and destructive “parts”.
4. You will know how to use Ego State Therapy with clien-ts who have multiple chemical sensitivities and Graft versus Host disease.
5. You will learn how to help the adult parts of clients to orient to better relationship skills and to pick better partners.
6. You will learn how to work with narcissistic and borderli-ne personality disorder clients.
7. You will know how to assess and begin to work with hi-ghly dissociative clients.
8. If you do EMDR, you will learn how to use this work in the Preparation and Processing phases of therapy.
9. You will learn a simple, effective trauma tool.
10. The 4-day training includes extensive practice including
a. Mapping your own ego states in the context of your life-span
b. Clearing simple trauma c. Bringing your own “oldest-wisest” part to the front in life situations when many of us regress (under stress, when dea-ling with our spouses or people in authority, around compulsive behaviors)
11. The 4-day training includes clinical demonstrations with some participants, either as themselves or as their difficult clients.